Air Traffic Control Tower Enabling Works
As part of the ambitious airport expansion plans, London City Airport intend to build the UKs first digital air traffic control tower. As part of the enabling works, a culvert that runs the length of the airport was identified as the best route for electrical installation but required environmental assessment at feasibility stage.
Airtech was commissioned by BP Installations to conduct the initial survey of the culvert. An asbestos refurbishment survey was delivered by Airtech that identified extensive asbestos contamination in the form of insulation debris.
Airtech managed the subsequent asbestos removal of the contamination through the following stages:
• Preparation of a detail asbestos removal specification
• Tendering of planned works, using Airtech approved licensed asbestos removal contractors (LARCs)
• Escorted site visits for tenderers and subsequent tender evaluations
• Full site project management and air monitoring
• Confined space management and site safety management
• 4 stage clearance and issue of re-occupation certificates
• Delivery of project completion reports